Most Dog Bites can be Prevented...
- Always ask permission from an adult owner before petting an unknown dog.
- Remember to NEVER pet a dog...
- That is tied up.
- Through a fence.
- That is eating or playing with a toy
- That is sleeping.
- That is a mother dog nursing her puppies.
- If a dog runs up to you, STAND LIKE A TREE! Stand still with your hands at your sides. Don't run and be as quiet as a tree. If you get knocked down, LIE LIKE A LOG! Lie still and don't move while protecting your neck with your hands. Running away from a dog will just make them chase you.
Good Tips for Parents to Remember:
- Supervise your dog around children, especially little toddlers. Dogs may act differently around children than they do with adults.
- Train your dog. Obedience class is a good idea for all dogs to attend at least once.*